Valverde

Valverde, El Hierro’s beautiful capital and seat of local government, is a township of 1600 inhabitants with white houses, gardens and fields. It is situated on a mountainside between 600 and 700 metres above sea-level, and thus is the only Canary island capital which is not on the coast. Before the Spanish occupation, this was the site of the Bimbache settlement of Amoco.

Valverde is divided into three: Tesine, the uphill part, the centre, and the downhill area, El Cabo. Two main roads cross the town, the rest is steep streets. Here you find a hospital, primary and secondary schools, the courts, two small museums, a cultural centre with a cinema and theatre, banks, guest-houses, restaurants, two discotheques and numerous bars.

Valverde, El Hierro

Valverde, El Hierro

The parish church of Santa Maria de la Concepcion was built in the 18thC and the Madonna to be found inside dates from the same period. Opposite is the Town Hall, built in typical Canary style. it was begun in 1910 but could not be finished until 1940 for lack of funds.
Buses leave at midday from the bus station for the other villages on the island.(photo:Mataparda)