Hermigua

The village of Hermigua is situated in the north-eastern part of the island, in the valley of the same name. Together with Agulo in originally constituted the aboriginal territory of Mulagua. After the conquest, the early lords of the island were drawn to it’s splendid natural conditions for growing sugar cane, it’s geographical location near the capital, and the convenience of it’s docks; hence, it’s early colonization.

Coast near Hermigua in La Gomera

Coast near Hermigua in La Gomera

The first inhabitants of Hermigua settled at Valle Alto, constructing the church of Santo Domingo and the convent of the same name, built between 1515 and 1520. Valle Bajo was founded later, where the Church of Nuestra Señora de la Encarnación was erected in 1650. Local economy has been determined by the types of crops grown on irrigated lands, starting with the sugar cane in the XVI century, succeeded by cultivation of the vineyards, cochineal or tomatoes, up to the current production of bananas. Crops such as cereals, vegetables, potatoes and fruit trees grown for local consumption have turned Hermigua into one of the most beautiful landscapes of the island, characterised by the terraces built into the slopes of the narrow valley. Nowadays, however, the importance of agriculture has diminished. Of special interest to the visitor in the Garajonay National Park, part of which is located in this valley and which offers the possibility of hiking, photography, cycling, etc … Nature offers other lovely sites to visit in this area: El Chorro, Majona Natural Park, Caleta and Santa Catalina beaches and the old docks.

Also of interest are the Church of Santo Domingo de Guzmán, which contains a Baroque altar, fine Moorish woodwork and popular icons; the Church of La Encarnación with an image of the Virgen made of wood and linen crafted by Fernando Estévez; the Moorish hermitages of El Cedro and Los Aceviños and the Virgilio Brito Ethnological Museum.(photo:Wouter Hagens)

Related articles